I grew up eating pochero every Sunday for dinner. The pochero I knew was made of beef but I have been told that chicken and pork is used as well. The original recipe of pochero calls for pork as the main ingredient.
Pochero is derived from the spanish stew called cosido, which I think is a more complicated dish to prepare.
When the American came to liberate the Philippines from the Spaniards, they brought with them surplus canned food such as corned beef,pork and beans, spam, canned squid, etc.These foods became part of the philippine culinary landscape and had been incorporated in many Philipine dishes.
This recipe is a traditional pochero dish prepared with an american twist. When I first ate this dish I could not believe that the savoring ingredient is pork and beans, which I hate. The addition however is ingenius, as the resultant dish is absolutely scrumptiuos. Thanks Ason for sharing me your recipe for Pochero.
3 lbs spareribs(cut in serving portions)
1 large can of pork and beans
1 gallon water
2 each chorizo bilbao,sliced crosswise
2 lb baby bachoy. Separate ribs,wash and cut in half
6 medium size potato, peeled,quartered and fried
1 lb green beans,whole,trimmed,steamed
4 saba banana,ripe but firm, slice crosswise 1/2 inch thick and fried.set aside.
1 whole medium cabbage(core,slice in wedges)
2 cups canned garbanzos,drained
1/2 C vegetable oil
4 cloves garlic,minced
1 large onion,chopped
1- 15 oz can tomatoes (diced in juice)
salt and pepper to taste
1 large eggplant,black beauty, broiled and peeled
salt & pepper to taste
1/2 C vinegar
1 clove garlic minced
Mash together all the ingredients.Set aside.
Prepare the Pochero
1. Combine the pork, water and pork and beans. Boil covered in medium heat until soft or fork tender. Set aside. Do not discard broth.Keep simmering hot.
2. Heat oil in skillet. When hot,add the garlic and onion. Saute.
3. Add the cooked pork spareribs,chorizo,canned tomato with juice and garbanzos and the sauted garlic and onion to the broth. Simmer .Add seasonings.
5. Fry the potatoes.drain.Set aside
6. Fry the sliced banana. Set aside
7. Boil the cabbage wedges briefly,set aside
8. Boil the green beans briefly,set aside
9. Boil the bokchoy briefly,set aside
10. Correct seasoning. add salt & pepper as desired.
11 assemble the dish in a large deep dish platter. Put the stew in a large casserole type dish as shown
12. Garnish top of stew with the cooked vegetables as in picture. Serve with eggplant sauce.
Serves 8 servings